Three American tourists found dead at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas in May were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, police said Tuesday.
In a statement, the Royal Bahamas Police said the three victims, identified as Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee; and Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida, had died of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
They said an investigation into the fatal incident was still ongoing.
The three Americans were found dead at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort in Great Exuma on May 6.
Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, 65, was airlifted to a Florida hospital in serious condition. The hospital, HCA Florida Kendall in Miami, later said his condition had improved to “an acceptable condition”, NBC Miami reported. His current condition was not immediately known.
Police previously said an initial investigation revealed that one of the couples had complained of illness the night before they were found. They had visited a medical facility, received treatment and then returned to the villa, police said.
It was not clear if the villas had been fitted with carbon monoxide detectors or if they had them, if they worked. A Sandals spokesperson did not directly respond to an NBC News question about whether the villas were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors at the time.
In a statement, the spokesperson said Sandals had “fully supported the investigation of this occurrence to ensure we are doing everything we can to learn from it.”
“Bahamian authorities have concluded that the cause was an isolated incident in a free-standing structure that housed two individual bedrooms,” they said.
The spokesperson repeated the company’s earlier comments that carbon monoxide detectors have since been placed in all rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and will be installed in all rooms in the company’s portfolio.
The deaths have cast a cloud over the resort hotel since the incident unfolded. The location is billed as an “adults-only” enclave with 11 restaurants and a golf course overlooking a secluded beach.